- Boards & Commissions
- Board of Health
Board of Health
- The Board of Health meeting scheduled to take place Monday, April 24, 2023, at 3 PM, will be held both in-person and virtually.
If you wish to participate virtually, register ahead of time to join the meeting by phone or computer. You will receive further instructions by email after you register.
- The public is invited to attend meetings in person or online.
- Finance committee meetings are combined with the scheduled board meeting.
- Directions for remote access to any public meeting will be available on this site at least 24 hours before any meeting.
The Board advises the director and requests from the director information it deems necessary. The Board makes rules and regulations, consistent with the rules and regulations of the Department of Public Health for the protection and preservation of public health.
The Board of Health meets on the fourth Monday of January, April, July, and October at 3:00 p.m.
Public Health Administration*
4041 N. Central Ave., 14th Floor,
Phoenix, AZ 85012
Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM (excluding observed holidays)
*Please note that services to the public are not provided at this location.
View Meeting Agendas and Minutes.
For updates to this webpage, please contact BoardsAndCommissions@Maricopa.gov.
|District 1||Don Cassano, Finance||03/23/2022 - 12/31/2025|
|District 2||Dr. Matthew Farber||04/20/2022 - 12/31/2024|
|District 3||Robert D. MacMillan, President||04/07/2021 - 12/31/2023|
|District 4||Joanne Osborne
||03/01/2023 - 12/31/2023|
|At-Large||Paula Banahan||04/07/2021 - 12/31/2023|
|At-Large||Dr. Debra Baldauff||04/07/2021 - 12/31/2024|
|Physician Representative||Dr. Paul E. Stander||04/07/2021 - 12/31/2024|
|Maricopa County Board of Supervisors||Bill Gates, District 3||01/25/2023 - 12/31/2023|
|Director of Public Health||Marcy Flanagan, Ex-Officio|
A.R.S. § 36-183
- In a county having five Supervisorial districts, the Board of Supervisors shall appoint a board of eleven members consisting of a member of the Board of Supervisors, a physician licensed pursuant to title 32, chapter 13, or 17 and 5 citizen members selected for their interest in public health, each citizen member to be a resident of a different supervisorial district so that all 5 supervisorial districts in the county have representatives on the board. In addition, 4 citizen members shall be appointed from the county at large. The term of office of the physician member and each member appointed pursuant to this subsection shall be 4 years.Appointment to fill a vacancy in the membership of a board caused other than by expiration of term shall be for the unexpired portion of the term.
- Appointment to fill a vacancy in the membership of a board caused other than by expiration of term shall be for the unexpired portion of the term.
- The director of a county or city-county health department shall serve, without vote, as an ex officio member of the board.
- Citizen members appointed pursuant to this section shall not be county health department employees.
For additional member qualification information, see Bylaws, Article IV.
Duties & Powers
Bylaws, Article III
The Board of Health shall recommend rules, regulations and ordinances to the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors for adoption and enforcement in the county and perform other duties consistent with state law. In this role, the Board of Health is not limited to the following duties, buy may:
- Advise the local health department director and request from the director information it deems necessary.
- Advise the Board of Supervisors regarding suitable officer, facilities and equipment for health department.
- Annually, before May 1 each year, estimate the cost of maintaining the local health department for ensuing fiscal year, and also the amounts of money that may be available from unexpended surpluses from grants or donations. The estimates shall be submitted in the form of a budget on or before May 1 each year to the Board of Supervisors.
- Review, recommend, or adopt a schedule of reasonable fees to be collected by the department for issuing or renewing licenses or permits for other services as are authorized by law and the rules of the director of the department of public health or the director of environmental services, subject to the provisions of A.R.S. § 36-187. Any such fee or schedule shall be approved by the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors.
- Serve as a forum for appeals of the health officers decision on variances from the parts of Chapter VI, Bathing Places, which are more restrictive than Arizona State Administrative Code.
- Cooperate with local Chambers of Commerce and other interested persons or organizations and hold public hearings.
- Serve as a forum for appeals, revocations, or suspensions of permits issued by the Department of Public Health, as may be required by law.
- The Board of Health shall annually review the Health Status report of Maricopa County.
Max PorterDeputy Director, Dept. of Public HealthPhone: 602-506-6900
Rebecca SunenshineDisease Control Div Medical DirectorPhone: 602-506-6900
Phone : 602-506-6900Fax : 602-506-6885