- Transportation (MCDOT)
- A Guide for Residents
- Title VI Nondiscrimination Program
Title VI Nondiscrimination Program
About the Program
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 provides the basis for the Maricopa County Department of Transportation's (MCDOT) external nondiscrimination programs. Title VI prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin in programs or activities receiving federal financial assistance. Related statutes and presidential executive orders under the umbrella of Title VI address minority and low-income populations and services to those individuals with limited English proficiency (LEP), women and the disabled. If an agency accepts federal funds, all of its programs and activities must comply, regardless of their funding source.
What Does This Mean?
MCDOT cannot, on the basis of race, color, or national origin either directly or through contractual means:
- Deny program services, aids or benefits.
- Provide a different service, aid or benefit, or provide them in a manner different from what is provided to others.
- Segregate or separately treat individuals in any matter related to the receipt of any service, aid or benefit.
- Deny an opportunity to participate as a member of a planning, advisory or similar body that is an integral part of the program.
How is Title VI Enforced?
- Conducting internal and external compliance reviews.
- Conducting Title VI Program implementation training to staff, suppliers, vendors, contractors, and other sub-recipients of federal funds.
- Developing Title VI compliance information for internal and external dissemination.
- Processing the disposition of Title VI complaints received by MCDOT.
- Working closely with the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) to ensure optimal Title VI performance by MCDOT. ADOT is the steward and approving authority for these programs as they relate to transportation in Arizona.
How to File a Complaint
Complaints (in English (PDF) or Spanish (PDF)) may be filed by any person who believes that he or she has been excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of or otherwise subjected to discrimination under any Maricopa County Department of Transportation (MCDOT) service, program or activity, and believes the discrimination is based upon race, color, or national origin. A signed, written complaint must be submitted within 180 days of the alleged discriminatory act (or latest occurrence).
Filing a Complaint
Complaints may be filed with:
- ADOT Civil Rights Office
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- MCDOT Title VI Coordinator
- National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- U.S. Department of Justice (USDOJ)
- U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT)
Include With Complaint
If filing a complaint, please include:
- Name, address, telephone number and signature of the complainant.
- Facts and circumstances surrounding the claimed discrimination, including date of allegations, and the basis of the complaint (e.g., race, color, national origin).
- Any names of persons, if known, whom the investigator could contact for additional information to support or clarify the allegations.
- Corrective action being sought by the complainant.
Kimberly RichardsTitle VI Program CoordinatorPhone: 602-506-1630
Reed KemptonSenior Planner, Systems Planning Branch
Title VI Nondiscrimination ProgramPhysical Address
2901 W Durango Street
Phoenix, AZ 85009-6357
2901 W Durango Street Phoenix AZ 85009-6357