How to Participate With Adopt A Highway
Who is Eligible to Volunteer With Adopt a Highway?
- Any business, group or organization can apply to either the volunteer or sponsor program. Eligible organizations must comply with State laws that prohibit discrimination based on race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, and other applicable laws.
- Each group must have a designated group leader who must be at least 18 years old. All volunteer participants must be at least 12 years old to participate in the program. Participants between the ages of 12 and 17 years old must have signed parental permission.
How to Apply:
Volunteer Application Process
- View our map of available roadways to find an appropriate one to adopt.
- Fill out the application for the MCDOT Adopt a Highway Program (PDF)
- The Adopt a Highway Coordinator will contact the group leader listed in the application to discuss the application and determine if the group meets the criteria for the program.
- If approved, the Adopt a Highway Coordinator will send a Welcome Packet to the group leader. Included in the Welcome Packet is the permit, the Checklist of Potential Roadway Hazards and the Special Event Waiver Form (PDF). The Group Leader must fill out, sign and return all forms. All participants must be at least 12 years of age and also fill out and sign the Special Event Waiver Form. Those participants between the ages of 12 and 17 must have written parental consent.
- Once the permit, Checklist of Potential Roadway Hazards, and waiver forms have been filled out, signed and returned to MCDOT, the Adopt a Highway Coordinator will finalize the forms and send the group leader the necessary copies.
- After receiving your permit, the applicant must then contact the Adopt a Highway Coordinator to set up an initial safety briefing and coordinate supplies (safety vests, trash bags, gloves and fold up signs). Required attendees for the safety briefing include all supervising personnel for the group.
- Once the above steps are complete, a request for the recognition signs for your organization will then be made.
- Your group is now ready to schedule their first cleanup. One week notice is required to schedule the collection of litter and debris from your clean up
Sponsorship Application Process
- Fill out the application for the MCDOT Sponsor a Highway Program (PDF)
- Once submitted, the application form will be sent to each Maintenance Provider (MP), who will provide a competitive quote for services on the selected road segment. The sponsor group will be asked to sign an agreement/contract with the MP of their choice.
- After the agreement is signed, the MP will submit an Application for Signing Installation and Permit to use County Right of Way with the Department of Transportation. The roadway selected by the sponsor will then go through a verification, inspection and approval process.
- Once the permit application is approved, MCDOT will send out a Welcome Packet to the MP so they can sign the permit, fill out the Checklist of Roadway Hazards and return the packet to MCDOT.
- Once MCDOT receives the signed permit and Checklist of Potential Roadway Hazards, the Adopt a Highway Coordinator will finalize the forms and send the MP the necessary copies. The MP will then install the recognition road signs to MCDOT specifications and start their cleaning schedule.
- MCDOT will complete regular quality checks on all locations to ensure clean ups are being performed.